Sunday, April 26, 2009

The common good

'for the common good'

If something is done for the common good it is done to help everyone.

Is the meaning that is found on the online Cambridge Dictionary website. This certainly wasn't the case last week in GWU's stand-off against the Freeport concerning union recognition for the Freeport's workers. I am not disputing this particular aspect, but GWU's actions after the Director of Industrial Relations had established that MDU had the highest number of worker's affiliated and should therefore be granted this recognition. What concerned me most was that GWU wanted an international boycott of the Malta Freeport. And why may I ask? Had they managed to get their way... Would less work at the Freeport been of benefit to the workers? I think not. Would it have been of benefit to the Maltese economy in general in these tough times? I think not too. So what benefit would this action have brought about? In my eyes none and it seemed like the GWU was a sulking child who did not get its way and started to cause trouble to all those people that should be 'dear' to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment